I like to keep things simple. The most efficient organizing system doesn’t have to be decked out with bells and whistles. In our home, we use the following two systems:
- Hanging folder system: schoolwork and artwork
- Binder system: school photos (including team sport photos) and report cards
- Gather ALL schoolwork and school-related paperwork/photos in one place: artwork, projects, worksheets, tests, official school photos, sports photos, report cards, etc. You need to see the volume of items in their entirety.
- Presort the schoolwork/artwork into categories before you involve your children in making choices (that is IF you want your children involved): drawings, written work, tests, 3D projects, photos, etc.
- Set a limit for the number of items you/your child can keep from each category once you have seen how many items are in each group.
Hanging folder system: schoolwork and artwork
- a mobile hanging file box that will accommodate work from K-12 (hanging folders to the right and space for small 3D artwork to the left)
- hanging folders or box bottom hanging folders (a hanging folder for each grade)
Binder system: school photos (including team sport photos) and report cards
Supply list for large posters
- vertical gift wrap organizer: extra tall posters that need to be rolled up
- rubber bands
Photo credits: © Paula Berman Organizing