Most people are motivated to get organized because they want to:
- reduce stress
- save time
- be on time for appointments and events
- save money by not having to re-buy things that have gone missing
- enjoy being at home
But where to start?
- Focus on one area/pile at a time.
- Move in one direction – either from left to right or right to left. This forces you to make a decision about every item you pick up. Don’t put anything down until you have made a decision about it: keep/toss/donate/relocate/add to group of ‘like’ items.
- Choose the best space and storage option for each group of ‘like’ items.
- Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Time management and setting routines in place for maintaining the organization systems are key factors in developing sustainable systems.